Wednesday, January 26, 2005

ABout Our development and past

In english class, some of the girls in my group were talking about Eva Hoffman's book and its pointlessness. I had only read the first 13 pages, so I couldn't really comment.
The reason why I am here at my computer typing about this seemingly sensless issue, is because I was reading my book and found I really enjoyed it. No one else I have talked to has expressed those feelings about it (and who knows, maybe when I read a couple more chapters I'll complain just as much-if not more). So, I tried to think of the reasons why I was interested in this womans story about the children of Halacaust victims, afterall, SHE wasn't the one who was in the Halacaust, SHE didn't see her loved ones being murdered and abused...
I began to think of how this book has to do with developmental psychology, a class I'm taking this semester. Everything in our past, how people treat us affect who we are, why we do what we do and why we think what we think. If a person is surrounded by people who have gone through all of this trauma, some of this and it's effects are evident in their behavior due to their assimilation and accomodation of the information they are constantly being given. The specific generation Hoffman writes about goes through their own troubles with not being able to relate to others what they have dealt with and why they act and react as they do.
I personally understand the need to explain my past sometimes so that others understand what I am thinking. Hoffman, I assume, has a connection with those who have grown up in homes where their parents have suffered through the Halacaust, that she will never have with people like me and you (unless you're in that group of people). My parents work overseas and when we visited the States growing up, we would move around like speeding nomads in order to visit family, churches and friends. I usually feel closer and can connect the most with people who have grown up in countries other than their own, but I biggest "connections" I feel are with other "TCK" s(third culture kid). If, for example I met a TCK for the first time, we would be able to talk of things that not many people could follow and understand if they were eavesdropping.
Poor Hoffman, has never has people study and analyze her "group", but I have. Many people, beginning around the mid 90's (maybe), found the study of "TCK"s qualities, attitudes and the hardships they face when returning to their passport nations to be intruiging. If I really felt out of touch, there are books that I can read, heck, I've gone to a couple lseminard about kids like me from the top researchers in that area (David Pollack- he explained it well when saying that "the sense ) of belonging is in relationship to others of similar background"this relates to anyone and shows the importnace of these studies).
People here, it seems to me,don't analyze their pasts very much to figure out why they think what they do, like who first introduced you to the notion of the existence or non existence of God or the idea that humans are basically walking chemicals - was it a teacher, TV, parents? I thought about this a lot, because I was paranoid on whether my thoughts and feelings were really my own. At my old high school, we had to write a paper on the history of our parents religous beliefs (just for research and for the benefit of understanding a little bit where ones parents are coming from..). Last year I had the oportunity to write a paper on what exactly I thought about life.kindof answering these 7 questions:
In you OWN opinion
what is prime reality?
what is the nature of external reality?
What is a human being?
What happens to a person at death?
Why is possible to know anything at all?
How do we know what is right and wrong?
What is the meaning of human history?

Not only were these questions REALLY hard to answer, in all naked honesty, but we had to say why we thought what we did and who introduced the thoughts to us and was it really our own.

Well this whole long train of thought is to say, that I think it's important that Hoffman wrote about the trials of her generation to help those who grew up as she did and to help those of us who didn't, understand the affects the Holacaust had on parents years later as they brought their own children up, and how those being brought up felt.
I believe it's importnat to go through and analyze our lives every once in a while to understand exactly what we're made of and why, so that we can communicate better with others and for personal satisfaction.

1 Comments:

Blogger Shoshauna said...

Hi,

I am a TCK myself and am trying to find other TCKs! I just opened a shop at:

www.cafepress.com/tck

If you could spread the word that would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Shoshauna

October 2, 2005 at 11:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home